RunSFM is making a push to become a more environmentally friendly event. It takes a lot of resources to put together an event the size and caliber of the RunSFM. That’s why we’re taking a look at what we can do to increase our sustainability. In 2020, we were a certified green event by the Council for Responsible Sport, reaching the Silver level. The council has five sustainability categories; Planning and Communication, Procurement, Resource Management, Access and Equity and Community Legacy. Our goal for 2023 is to reach the certified Gold Level.
What we have implemented:
- Shirts made of recycled material
- American made medals
- Purchasing Clear Stream containers for recycling and composting
- Runner bags will be made from recyclable material
- Recycled save the date cards
- Biodegradable boxes/mailers
- Biodegradable tape
What our participants can do:
- Stay at green certified hotels in the area.
- On race day, you can look for our clear stream containers to recycle or compost any items that you can. Our Green Volunteers will be there to help you.
We appreciate your efforts to help us reach our goals. You can find updates to our green program in our monthly newsletters.
Moving forward, we will be implementing additional sustainable measures into our expo, pasta dinner, and more. We are proud of the progress we’ve made so far, and we will keep working to improve the community and the environment around us.